THE BUILD HEALTH CHALLENGE 2019 CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
(Applications are no longer being accepted)
BUILD is looking to support dynamic collaboratives driving sustainable improvements in community health. Are you ready to BUILD with us?
For this new third cohort, BUILD is looking to support up to 17 innovative collaboratives across the US that include a community-based organization, hospital or health system, and public health department working together in dynamic ways to address upstream challenges and drive sustainable improvements in community health. Inclusion of additional cross-sector partners such as health plans, businesses, foundations, and others that are aligned with the proposed efforts is encouraged.
To learn more, check out the:
(FAQs Updated March 21, 2019)
- Up to $250,000 in funding over two-and-a-half years
- A robust array of coaching and support services
- Specialized trainings and capacity building opportunities
- Participation in a national network of peers engaged in similar work
- The opportunity to spotlight your local work on a national level
BUILD awards are designed to support collaborations ready to put Bold, Upstream, Integrated, Local, Data-Driven plans into action. Organizations jointly applying for the Award should have a strong track record of working together; have developed their joint priorities and implementation plans with strong levels of community engagement and leadership; and be primed to advance equitable systems-level changes in their community.
Key activities should include, but are not limited to:
- Advancing systems level change, including policy solutions that will create more fair and just opportunities for health (e.g., changes in local laws, regulations, or organizational policies; shifts in funding, reimbursements, or resources).
- Collaborating strategically across organizations and sectors to enhance practices and ways of working.
- Expanding the range of committed partners to bring complementary sets of expertise, resources, and capacities to the table.
- Developing robust data-sharing and evaluation processes to inform intervention strategies, strengthen partnerships, improve the initiative, and measure impact.
- Engaging and empowering community members to inform strategy and guide activities.
Round 1 applications were due by April 5, 2019. Sign up for the BUILD newsletter to receive updates on possible future funding opportunities as they arise.
Want to Learn More?
- Check out a new resource from BUILD called, “Getting BUILD Ready: Tools for Moving Resources, Attention and Action Upstream to Drive Sustainable Improvements in Community Health.” The Guide features several key frameworks and resources that can inform those interested in learning about and applying the unique BUILD approach in their community.
- Watch this Informational Webinar: Learn more about the program, funding opportunity, and application. In addition to a presentation about the history of BUILD and the award program, the webinar includes an open Q&A period about the third cohort and the call for applications. (PDF of the Slides)
- Watch this webinar that provides an overview of the BUILD Resource Guide – Getting BUILD Ready. BUILD team members explore this new resource guide that highlights elements of the BUILD approach – including frameworks and resources that communities, applicants, and cross-sector practitioners may find useful. (To access the new Guide, visit: the BUILD Resources page) (PDF of the Slides)
The third cohort of BUILD is made possible with generous support from: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation, Communities Foundation of Texas, de Beaumont Foundation, Episcopal Health Foundation, the Kresge Foundation, Methodist Healthcare Ministries of South Texas, Inc., the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.